How do you treat a swollen eye in a child?
To treat your child, try these home remedies:
- Cold Pack. Apply ice or a cold pack wrapped in a clean, wet washcloth to the eye for 15 to 20 minutes at a time to decrease eyelid swelling and pain.
- Allergy Medicine. You can safely give your child an allergy medicine or antihistamine by mouth. …
- Eye Drops.
What is the fastest way to heal a swollen eye?
Reducing the swelling is all about cooling and moving the fluid away from the eyes.
- Apply a cold compress. A cold compress can help reduce swelling. …
- Apply cucumber slices or tea bags. …
- Gently tap or massage the area to stimulate blood flow. …
- Apply witch hazel. …
- Use an eye roller. …
- Apply a chilled face cream or serum.
How do you treat a swollen eye?
To ease your symptoms, take care of your eyes and keep the area around them clean: Apply a compress. Putting a clean, wet cloth on your eyes twice a day for 15 minutes at a time will loosen crust from your eyelashes and help get rid of extra oil that might be plugging up your glands. Gently wash the area.
What medicine makes eye swelling go down?
Take an antihistamine
Taking an oral antihistamine or applying antihistamine eye drops should reduce eyelid swelling if allergies are to blame. Also note that itching is a common symptom if the cause is related to allergies.
What would cause a child eye to swell?
Risk factors include a recent injury to the eye area or a sinus infection. In addition to swollen eyelids, your child is likely to have pain around the eyes and a fever. (The eye itself, however, may look normal.)
How do I know if my child has an eye infection?
What are the signs and symptoms of Pediatric Eye Infections?
- Dry eyes.
- Light sensitivity.
- Pus or mucus discharge.
Is it good to put ice on a swollen eye?
Cold temperatures help reduce redness by shrinking the blood vessels in the skin around the eyes. Swelling in the eye area due to an infection, black eye or another type of injury can also be reduced by applying a cold compress, as cold temperatures numb pain and minimize swelling.
How do I stop my eyelid from swelling?
Things you can do immediately
- Use a saline solution to rinse your eyes, if there’s discharge.
- Use a cool compress over your eyes. This can be a cold washcloth.
- Remove contacts, if you have them.
- Place chilled black tea bags over your eyes. …
- Elevate your head at night to decrease fluid retention.
How long does it take for a swollen shut eye to heal?
How long does a black eye take to heal? In a general, a black eye takes about 2 weeks to heal. It might take more or less time depending on: the severity of your injury.