What kind of infection can cause a miscarriage?
Toxoplasmosis, a protozoal infection, may cause a miscarriage, death of the fetus, and serious birth defects. Listeriosis, a bacterial infection, increases the risk of preterm labor, miscarriage, and stillbirth.
What happens if you don’t treat a urine infection while pregnant?
If the UTI goes untreated, it may lead to a kidney infection. Kidney infections may cause early labor and low birth weight. If your doctor treats a urinary tract infection early and properly, the UTI will not cause harm to your baby.
How is urine infection treated in pregnancy?
Acute cystitis and pyelonephritis should be aggressively treated during pregnancy. Oral nitrofurantoin and cephalexin are good antibiotic choices for treatment in pregnant women with asymptomatic bacteriuria and acute cystitis, but parenteral antibiotic therapy may be required in women with pyelonephritis.
How can I treat a UTI at home while pregnant?
What are the treatment options?
- emptying your bladder frequently, especially before and after sex.
- wearing only cotton underwear.
- nixing underwear at night.
- avoiding douches, perfumes, or sprays.
- drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- avoiding any harsh soaps or body wash in the genital area.
How can I treat a UTI while pregnant without antibiotics?
Seven methods for treating UTIs without antibiotics
- Stay hydrated. Share on Pinterest Drinking water regularly may help to treat a UTI. …
- Urinate when the need arises. …
- Drink cranberry juice. …
- Use probiotics. …
- Get enough vitamin C. …
- Wipe from front to back. …
- Practice good sexual hygiene.