Miss Avery is almost two years old(crazy I know)! To celebrate the end of the ones, and the start of the twos we obviously need a party as magical as her imagination.
So what better way to say ‘Hurray I’m TWO’, then with Unicorns, candy, and a little bit of glitter.
If you know me at all, then you know that I’m a big fan of piñatas. Why? Because it’s something you get to hit with a stick…besides your husband (he wrote that) AND they are full of candy, it’s a win win if you ask me. Therefore today we are making a super duper easy unicorn piñata.
What you will need:
- Horse piñata
- White tissue paper
- A few strips of colourful tissue paper
- Card stock paper
- Glitter Washi Tape
- Sponge Brush
- Googley eyes
1. Go out an buy one of those colourful horse piñatas. This is my ‘cheat’ way of making the shape. If you feel like your ambitious enough to make the structure from scratch then go for it…but I’m cheating my way through this project.
2. Tear off all of the original tissue paper.
Warning: Do this at nap time or else this will end in tears when your toddler thinks you are killing her new colourful horse.
3. Use your card stock to make the horn (directions in the diagram below). Then cut several slits along the bottom so that you can fasten the horn onto the head of your piñata.
Next take your gold washi tape and wrap the horn in it. I also wrapped the horn in clear packing tape because I found that the washi tape wasn’t sticking as well as I would have liked.
4. Trim your white tissue paper into 3-inch-wide strips. Cut slits down the length of the strips, stopping about halfway in the middle of the strips to create your fringe.
Tip: You can stack several pieces of tissue paper to save time.
5. Start at the bottom leg of your unicorn and glue your strips of paper until your unicorn is magically covered from head to toe.
6. Cut your other colours of tissue paper into long strips and make two bunches with 8-10 pieces. Tape together at one end. Next secure your bunches at the back of the head to make the mane, then on your unicorns tushy to make a tail.
7. Glue a set of googley eyes to your unicorn (so it can see), and voila you have made yourself one fancy little unicorn piñata.
Now its time to grab a stick…and a cocktail, because it’s party time.
Be sure to let me know how your unicorn turns out, and what you decided to fill it with.
Perfect for pinning: